Contact details+61 3 9269 9617
Garth is an experienced corporate advisory and commercial disputes resolution lawyer, specialising in sports law. He is recognised in the 2014 - 2017 editions of Best Lawyers (Australia) for his expertise in sports law.
Garth has been involved in a number of high profile and significant matters that have shaped jurisprudence and policy reforms in the area of sports law. He acted on behalf of professional Formula 1 racing car drivers Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericson of the Sauber Motorsport team in litigation before the Supreme Court of Victoria prior to the 2015 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix. He has experience in Olympic selection appeals before the Court of Arbitration for Sport including prior to the 2012 London Olympic Games, 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games and 2016 Rio Olympic Games.
Garth's areas of expertise include:
- drafting and advising on commercial and sponsorship contracts and arrangements;
- development, protection and exploitation of intellectual property including broadcast agreements;
- anti-doping, betting and integrity;
- corporate governance, constitutions and other board and director issues;
- Corporations Act and Association Incorporation Act advice;
- organisational policies including member protection, inclusion, team selection and more;
- disciplinary matters;
- risk management processes;
- privacy legislation and the handling of personal information;
- regulatory advice including rules of play; and
- competition and league structures.
Garth is regularly sought for comment about topical sports law related issues. He has appeared in television, print and radio news pieces discussing a range of sports law issues including on ABC News 24, The Ticket with Tracey Holmes on ABC Radio, ABC News Breakfast, Channel 7 News, SBS News, The Age, Lawyers Weekly and the World Sports Law Report.
- LL.B., B.A. (Deakin University)
- Master of Law majoring in Sports Law (The University of Melbourne)
Memberships / Awards:
- Former Director of the Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Member of the Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria's Sports Law Committee
- Former member of the Football Geelong and Basketball Geelong disciplinary tribunal panels
- Member of the Australian University Sport Sports Strategy Sub-Committee