Contact details+61 3 9269 9557
Practice groupWorkplace Relations & Safety
Kate provides representation and advice across all stages of employment matters, from initial employment contracts and policies, negotiations and hearings, as well as advising on employment related issues in mergers and acquisitions. She has a particular focus on employment litigation.
Kate has been involved in litigation across the private and public sectors and has also acted for individual clients in jurisdictions including the Federal Court of Australia, Federal Circuit Court, Victorian and Western Australian Supreme and Magistrates' Courts, Victorian County Court, Western Australian District Court, Fair Work Commission, Australian Human Rights Commission, Victorian Equal Opportunity Commission and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
From her secondment with Australia Post in 2015, Kate has also obtained in-house legal experience, which involved advising on sensitive employment matters and managing numerous internal and external stakeholders.
Kate's areas of expertise include:
- managing employment litigation, strategy and advice;
- defending and prosecuting breach of contract, unfair dismissal, unlawful discrimination and sexual harassment claims;
- managing sensitive workplace investigations;
- advising on separation and termination of employment and organisational restructures;
- modern award and enterprise agreement interpretation;
- drafting employment contracts and policies;
- running equal opportunity and appropriate workplace behaviour training seminars; and
- work health and safety, including identification and management of potential risks.
LLB (Hons)/BA (University of Melbourne, 2009)
Memberships / Awards
- Freehills Prize for Employment Law for the highest ranked student in Employment Law, University of Melbourne, 2009
- Internal award for successfully defending a discovery application in the Supreme Court
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria