Contact details+61 2 8020 7810
Mark has broad experience in insurance law and has for more than 20 years acted for Australian and overseas insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries and corporate clients on a range of insurance and reinsurance matters.
Prior to joining Lander & Rogers, Mark was a partner at a large Australian-based commercial law firm, where he established the firm's front-end insurance practice and was relationship partner for two of the firm's key clients.
Mark’s areas of specific expertise include:
Acquisitions, restructuring and transfers of business
- acting in acquisitions of general and life insurance businesses by local and overseas purchasers;
- obtaining insurance authorisations for the establishment of new insurance business in Australia and establishing local subsidiary or branch operations;
- numerous Federal Court approvals for the transfer of insurance business as part of acquisitions or restructuring of business.
- helping clients respond to ASIC, APRA and ACCC regulatory investigations and enforcement action;
- negotiating the terms of voluntary and enforceable undertakings;
- working with clients to investigate and report significant breaches.
Insurance advice for corporate clients
- advising in directors' deeds of indemnity, access and insurance;
- assisting corporate clients to recover under insurance clauses;
- analysing clients' insurance programs to identify and manage gaps in coverage.
Licensing and compliance
- preparing applications for, and variations of, financial services licences;
- advising on the practical impact of laws and regulatory guides on clients' business;
- working with overseas insurers and reinsurers to obtain Australian insurance authorisations and licences.
- working with insurers to create new products including all disclosure documents and marketing campaigns;
- advising on the impact of insurance regulation on new products and distribution methods;
- drafting and negotiating agreements with partners, distributors and representatives.
Property and projects
- negotiating liability, indemnity and insurance clauses in major construction contracts;
- advising on risk allocation clauses and reviewing compliance with insurance requirements.
- acting in arbitrations and in litigation between reinsurers and insurers;
- acting on behalf of insurers in contribution actions and subrogated claims.
- University of Sydney / Bachelor of Laws Graduated 30 April 1994
- University of Sydney / Bachelor of Economics Graduated 28 May 1993
Mark was admitted to the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia in 1994. Mark joined Lander & Rogers in January 2016.
Memberships / Awards
Member of the Law Society of New South Wales.
Publications / Presentations
Author of numerous articles, case notes and papers published in Australian and UK insurance publications including Australian Insurance Law Bulletin and other LexisNexis bulletins.