Tony is a Senior Associate in our Workplace Relations & Safety group. He has nine years PQE and extensive experience advising clients in highly unionised environments including the coal mining industry, food manufacturing, the APS and the Victorian Government School system. Tony has developed a particular expertise advising clients in the public sector and social services industry. He has in-depth knowledge of the public sector employment framework, the NDIS and the Modern Award system.
Tony commenced his career in Canberra working as Associate to Commissioner Barbara Deegan at the Fair Work Commission. During this time, Tony gained invaluable behind-the-scenes experience of FWC procedure and dispute resolution.
Since then, Tony has been intimately involved in a number of cutting-edge bargaining disputes and general litigation under the Fair Work Act and anti-discrimination legislation. He is a regular speaker at HR legal conferences and online training modules. Tony has a Masters Degree and lectures part time in workplace relations, civil procedure and corporations law.
Tony's key expertise includes:
- resolving bargaining disputes and managing industrial action
- navigating the EA voting and approval process
- planning, communicating and executing organisational change
- reviewing and drafting employment contracts and organisational policies
- conducting workplace investigations and delivering training
- defending unfair dismissal, discrimination and general protections claims
Tony's career highlights include:
- Department of Defence: Advising the Department in relation to contentious right of entry protocols, conducting Code of Conduct investigations, and executing enterprise agreement negotiations within Australian Government Bargaining Policy.
- Life Without Barriers: National advocate responsible for conducting tribunal conciliations nationwide including multiple disputes under the SCHADS Award and transfer of business applications e.g. LWB v HACSU  FWC 4642.
- Department of Health: Conducting a complex and wide-ranging workplace investigation into alleged breaches of the APS Code of Conduct in the context of ongoing Federal Court proceedings: see Taylor v Commonwealth  FCA 1587.
- Alstom Transport: Advising the French train and tram manufacturer in relation to multiple concurrent EA negotiations covering the Sydney Light Rail Project and Melbourne Metro train manufacturing operations.
- Australia Post: Advising the largest Government business enterprise in successive rounds of EA negotiations with multiple unions and Ministerial stakeholders.
- Hitachi Construction Machinery: Succeeded in obtaining orders stopping unprotected action, defending multiple general protections claims and implementing payroll deductions: see Hitachi v CFMMEU  FWC 6835.
- ATO: Primary point of contact during protracted EA negotiations including successfully defending a union application for bargaining orders and managing protected industrial action: see ASU v Commonwealth  FWC 7692.
- Fonterra: Instructing counsel in relation to a large-scale industrial dispute at two manufacturing facilities in regional Victoria: see Fonterra v CEPU & AMWU  FWCFB 3423. Advising the organisation in relation to NES compliance and appearing in unfair dismissal conciliations.
- Deakin University: Six month secondment assisting various faculties addressing a backlog of complex personnel issues and leading major change consultation with the NTEU regarding restructuring and research programs.
- Lendlease: Providing advice on compliance with the corrupting benefits provisions in the Fair Work Act and the Commonwealth Building Code in the context of ongoing Victorian projects and bargaining with the CFMMEU.