Alexis is an experienced insurance litigator in a wide variety of claims, with a focus on general liability matters, product liability, workers' claims and related statutory recovery actions. Alexis has worked with an extensive list of insured companies including automotive retailers and manufacturers, retail stores, shopping centres, elevator companies, real estate agencies, bars, restaurants, hotels, race courses and construction companies. Alexis has a keen interest in promoting a better understanding of product liability risks, including insurance, loss prevention, recovery, and risk management strategies to minimise exposure for insurer clients. She recently joined the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA) Victoria committee with an aim to spearhead the establishment of product liability subcommittees. Prior to joining the AILA, Alexis was a committee member of the National Product Liability Association (NPLA) and involved in the organisation of annual seminars regarding the Australian Consumer Law and other topics relevant to product liability insurance. Prior to joining Lander & Rogers, Alexis was an integral part of the General Insurance team at a mid-tier firm.
Alexis' areas of expertise include:
- personal injury;
- general liability;
- products liability;
- worker's' claims;
- statutory recovery actions;
- property damage;
- policy response.
Alexis' career highlights include:
- Defending claims in respect of workplace injuries, including common law damages claims and section 138 recovery actions brought by the Victorian WorkCover Authority.
- Defending a global manufacturer of motor vehicles in a personal injury claim whereby the claimant alleged a breach of its common law duty as a manufacturer, as well as a breach of its statutory guarantees under the Australian Consumer Law.
- Acting on behalf of insurers in motor vehicle "crash and bash" claims.
- Defending public and products liability claims in Victorian Courts and VCAT (including claims under the Water Act).
- Acting for an insurer in a multimillion dollar property damage claim resulting from flooding.
- Defending an insurer in a million dollar VCAT building and property claim for breach of insurance policy. The matter involved a counterclaim for insurance fraud which required extensive discovery, lay evidence and expert opinion, achieving a withdrawal of the claim against the insurer.
- Defending claims in respect of asbestos related diseases on behalf of insurers and global mining companies. Advising on policy response.
In 2018, Alexis completed a secondment with AIG where she managed a portfolio of personal injury and property damage claims.