Gavin is an insurance litigation specialist who is committed to delivering superior client service, both in terms of specialist coverage advice and effectively defending claims. Gavin's practical and commercial approach, together with his down to earth manner, mean he is a highly effective litigator and negotiator, but also easy to work with.
Gavin is known for his expertise in defending professional indemnity claims. In addition, he is a coverage specialist and is regularly asked for discrete advice on complex indemnity issues.
Gavin also specialises in employment practices liability (including general protections and unfair dismissal claims) and product recall claims.
Gavin otherwise has significant experience in areas including defamation, OHS prosecutions, crime and fidelity, copyright, investigations and enquiries (including Royal Commissions) and property damage.
Gavin's experience includes:
- defending a mortgage broker in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the Court of Appeal in a claim for damages resulting out of a fraud and spanning multiple jurisdictions
- defending a real estate agent in the County Court of Victoria in a claim resulting from damage caused to a property after it was leased to a drug cartel
- defending an accountant in the Supreme Court of Victoria in a claim alleging negligent advice regarding the value of a business
- defending an educational research company in the Federal Court and on appeal, in a claim alleging infringement of copyright
- acting in a complex product recall claim arising out of a contaminated herbicide
- advising insurers on coverage issues in respect of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse and the Royal Commission into Aged Care
- regularly acting in claims against employers in the Fair Work Commission, with an emphasis on quick and cost-effective resolutions at conciliation where appropriate
- regularly defending and resolving WorkSafe prosecutions following incidents at workplaces
- providing ongoing complex coverage advice regarding a declinature in a current class action, as well as various satellite proceedings.