Terry has practiced extensively in financial services and regulatory law for over 30 years. Before joining Lander & Rogers, he was a partner in a major legal firm for over 13 years, and before that he held legal and commercial positions in a major bank, a major life insurance company and a superannuation, actuarial and investment consulting firm.
Terry is on the Australian subsidiary board of a large Canadian bank, was previously on the International Monetary Fund's external expert panel for banking and insurance regulation and a financial sector development expert for the Asian Development Bank.
Terry’s experience includes:
- financial services licensing;
- regulatory and compliance advice;
- strategic legal advice on financial services initiatives;
- privacy and data protection;
- regulatory interventions and reviews;
- administration agreements and other outsourcing arrangements;
- investment management, transition management and custody agreements;
- superannuation and pension plans, managed investment schemes and other collective investments;
- the development and distribution of new financial products;
- assisting financial services companies to establish themselves locally or to move their operations offshore;
- product rationalisations;
- transfers and mergers including superannuation fund successor fund transfers, Part 9 schemes for life companies and Division 3A Schemes for general insurers; and
- advising in financial and commercial disputes.
Terry was awarded "Lawyer of the Year" for Superannuation Law by Best Lawyers (Australia) in 2015 and 2016. He has also been named as one of Australia's best superannuation lawyers and recognised for his expertise in financial institutions, investment law and insurance law in Best Lawyers (Australia).
He has received recognition for his insurance work in the PLC Which Lawyer ratings for 2010 and 2011 and has been recognized as a winner in Insurance in Australia at the 2015 Lexology Client Choice Awards.