Mark has significant expertise in insurance and financial services law. For more than 20 years, he has acted for Australian and overseas insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries, licensees and corporate clients on the full spectrum of transactions, projects, investigations and disputes.
Mark is known for his strategic and practical approach to complex transactions, strategic partnerships and demanding regulators so that clients can get on with business.
Mark works with the insurance and financial services industry across Australia and abroad, building trusted, long-term relationships.
Mark's areas of expertise include:
- acquisitions, restructuring, and transfers of business;
- regulatory inquiries, investigations and enforcement;
- strategic advice on ever-changing insurance, financial services and credit laws;
- licensing applications and compliance reviews;
- product development and distribution partnerships; and
- advice to foreign entrants on local regulation.
Mark is recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia for his expertise in Insurance Law.
Mark's experience includes:
- acquisitions and disposals of many general and life insurance businesses, including obtaining numerous Federal Court, Treasurer and APRA approvals
- helping clients respond to the Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry
- advising some of the world's biggest and best-known technology companies on new forays into financial services
- responding to investigations and enforcement action by ASIC, APRA and the ACCC with business-critical implications
- working with insurtech companies to deliver new products to the market
- countering FOS, and now AFCA, allegations of systemic issues
- many years of acting in disputes, including successfully acting for multiple reinsurers in decade-long litigation with cedants.