Environment and sustainability
Lander & Rogers recognises climate change is having a real and increasing impact on our people, clients and communities. In response, we’re acting to preserve our environment for the benefit of future generations.
Net-zero emissions by 2030
We are proud to be the first Australian law firm to commit to net-zero emissions across our entire value chain by 2030. Our board-approved comprehensive emissions reduction target seeks to reduce both direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions in our business operations and supply chains.
Learn more about how we have chosen to validate our target using the Science-Based Targets initiative (SBTi) Net-Zero Standard.
We take our environmental responsibilities seriously. By investing in sustainable business practices that reduce our environmental footprint, we’re changing the way we operate. But, we also seek to positively influence further afield by championing sustainability and promoting innovative responses to climate change for the benefit of everyone.
Learn about the expectations we have of our own behaviour and our commitments to improvement in our Environmental Policy here.
Lander & Rogers' environmental action plan includes a suite of initiatives designed to drive impactful change. These include:
- broadening sustainability awareness through targeted campaigns and leveraging education provided by peak bodies and organisations like the UN Global Compact
- monitoring our firm's environmental impact and building on our carbon neutral certification to further reduce carbon emissions and mitigate climate change
- assessing our contribution towards addressing environmental issues using the UN Sustainable Development Goals framework and measuring progress against meaningful short-term targets using reliable data-driven approaches
- considering environmental impacts in high-level decision making and internal policies
- incorporating sustainability-based criteria into our supply chain assessment and procurement processes
- continued support for the activities that delivered WELL Platinum accreditation for our Melbourne office
- collaboration with communities, clients and other law firms to promote better environmental outcomes.
UN Global Compact
Lander & Rogers became a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) in 2022. The compact is a voluntary framework for the development, implementation and disclosure of responsible business practices. Since joining, we have been active members of UN Global Compact Network Australia, engaging in communities of practice, hosting events, and completing the Climate Ambition Accelerator program, which informs our approach to net-zero emissions and the benefits of setting a science-based emissions target.
By supporting the core principles of the UNGC we:
- take a precautionary approach to environmental challenges
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibilities
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally-friendly technologies.
Lander & Rogers and the Australian Legal Sector Alliance
Our firm is an executive member of the Australian Legal Sector Alliance (AusLSA), an industry-led association promoting sustainability across the legal sector. We're committed to the AusLSA Principles, part of which involves measuring and monitoring our environmental consumption in a transparent way. We track our progress against a credible baseline and report publicly on the performance of our sustainability initiatives. Lander & Rogers' consumption report can be found here.
In 2022 Lander & Rogers achieved independent certification of its AusLSA Environmental Management System (aEMS). The certification recognises action we have taken to understand our environmental impact and mitigate future adverse outcomes, as well as our commitment to ongoing monitoring and improvement of our environmental performance.
Lander & Rogers and Climate Active
In recognition of our commitment to operating responsibly and sustainably, Lander & Rogers is certified as a carbon neutral organisation and service provider by Climate Active. This means we've minimised our carbon emissions and invested in projects that reduce or remove carbon from the atmosphere.
Consumers of products and services can also contribute to positive environmental outcomes by selecting carbon neutral service providers in their supply chain choices and by promoting awareness and value for carbon neutral certifications like Climate Active. Find out more about Lander & Rogers' emissions footprint and reduction strategies in our Climate Active public disclosure statement.
Lander & Rogers and CitySwitch
We've partnered with CitySwitch, an organisation that supports office-based businesses to improve their energy and waste efficiency.
we are targeting net-zero emissions from scope 1, 2 and 3 by 2030
we are committed to eliminating our office waste to landfill by 2025
of our electricity is procured using GreenPower
We are constantly learning and mindful that the pathway to an improved shared environment is through collaboration. We welcome you contacting us to discuss our experience further with you.