Shai practices exclusively in family law and in related jurisdictions. He focuses on providing clients with practical solutions and, where possible, he aims to resolve matters swiftly outside of court. If, however, litigation is required, Shai is a determined and strategic advocate.
Prior to working in family law, Shai worked in-house at one of Australia's largest national privately-owned businesses. During those years, he gained an acute appreciation for commercial decision-making, and for alternative dispute resolution.
Shai made his transition into family law as a solicitor at one of Melbourne's leading specialist family law firms, where he was exposed to a wide variety of family law matters including high conflict parenting matters, complex financial matters and family violence matters.
Shai is a volunteer mentor at Jewish Care.
Shai's experience includes:
- matters involving threshold and jurisdiction issues (for example whether a de facto relationship existed, whether court intervention is appropriate and whether to vary existing final orders)
- matters involving the breakdown of same-sex and de facto relationships
- children's matters, including those involving children with special needs, relocation (interstate and overseas), parental alienation and child abuse cases
- complex property matters, including those involving intricate corporate structures, trust disputes, self-managed superannuation funds, valuation disputes, overseas assets and overseas corporate interests
- spousal maintenance disputes
- child support, including departure applications, binding child support agreements and limited child support agreements
- financial agreements, in anticipation of a marriage / de facto relationship ("pre-nuptial"), during a marriage / de facto relationship and following separation
- family violence and intervention order proceedings, including appearing for clients in the Magistrates' Court of Victoria
- appearing at various hearings in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia and in the Family Court of Australia
- negotiating at roundtable conferences and private mediations, and