Michael is an insurance litigator with class action expertise, working with leading insurer clients as well as financial institutions and government entities. Michael takes a practical, results-driven approach to disputes and seeks resolution by negotiation whenever possible.
Michael’s experience includes 10 years as a litigation lawyer in London. He has also undertaken three secondments in the claims teams of insurer clients, two with QBE Insurance Europe Limited in London and Leeds, and one in Sydney at Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality where he managed D&O claims arising from the Financial Services Royal Commission. From these secondments, he gained valuable and practical insurance and risk management experience.
He has successfully resolved claims relating to large-scale infrastructure projects; mining collapses; renewable energy technologies; cyber security and insolvencies. He defends a range of professionals including auditors, engineers, insurance brokers and financial advisors.
Michael regularly advises insurers on coverage matters relating to professional indemnity; management liability and D&O policies. He has particular expertise acting for insurers in fidelity recovery claims, especially concerning employee fraud.
Michael is part of the firm's pro bono program, acting for refugees and the Aboriginal Land Council.
Michael's experience includes:
- acting for Transport for New South Wales and its insurers in the Sydney Light Rail class action
- acting for design engineers and their insurers in the WA litigated Koolan Island seawall collapse claim
- advising on D&O coverage issues in connection with the CBS/AUSTRAC dispute
- defending a negligence claim against one of the world's largest brokers arising from losses caused by Hurricane Katrina and underinsurance in a business interruption policy
- defending a $60m mis-selling derivatives claim against an investment management company relating to losses arising from interest rate swaps
- acting for a surveyor facing allegations of fraud in a property investment scheme in a multi-party 4-week trial at the High Court in London.