Jonathon is a contentious insolvency and restructuring partner based in Sydney, having previously practised in London. Jonathon specialises in complex, cross-border and contentious insolvency, restructuring and commercial disputes. He is a trusted adviser to a range of domestic and international clients including leading financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, corporates and directors on a wide variety of contentious and non-contentious matters. He works in partnership with his clients to achieve the commercial and strategic objectives of his clients.
Jonathon has significant experience in conducting complex and high-profile contentious and non-contentious restructuring and commercial dispute engagements. He adopts a commercial and strategic approach while ensuring that risks are effectively managed throughout any engagement.
Jonathon is dual-qualified having been admitted as a solicitor in Australia and England and Wales. His international experience includes acting in a number of high-profile and complex matters in London arising out of the global financial crisis in 2008. He has acted for clients in complex litigation in superior courts in Australia, England and Wales, and the Cayman Islands.
Jonathon's areas of expertise include:
- corporate restructuring and insolvency
- cross-border insolvency
- commercial disputes
- PPSA and security enforcement
- corporate governance and directors' duties
- banking and financial services
Jonathan's career highlights and experience include:
- acting for the liquidators of a number of reinstated companies pursuant to an application by the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation. Conducting public examinations and multiple recovery proceedings in the NSWSC in the context of alleged money laundering, phoenix activity and an alleged conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth
- acting for the liquidators of the Delta Group of companies, a mining services provider, in insolvent trading proceedings brought in the Federal Court
- acting for the secured creditor, and the receivers and managers appointed by the secured creditor, in respect of the voluntary administration, receivership and subsequent liquidation of the Jewel Group of companies. Advising the secured creditor in respect of ongoing public examinations and potential litigation
- acting for a senior executive of a leading Australian financial institution in relation to investigations being carried out by ASIC
- acting for the voluntary administrators and subsequently deed administrators of the Focus on Furniture group of companies
Jonathon's international experience includes:
- acting for the secured creditor in respect of the voluntary administration of Jeanswest and in respect of enforcement and security issues in Hong Kong, including in respect of guarantees issued by Hong Kong entities
- acting for an investment bank and New Zealand government entities in relation to a just and equitable winding up petition before the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands concerning an exempted limited partnership
- acting for the administrators of Lehman Brothers International Europe (LBIE) in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in respect of the “Waterfall I” and “Waterfall II” applications that concerned claims in respect of the surplus of funds (c. 5bn GBP) held after payment in full of secured and unsecured creditors
- acting for an investment bank in respect of proceedings in the UK High Court concerning a claim brought against BVG, a German public body responsible for public transport in Berlin, for sums in excess of $100m allegedly due under a credit derivatives transaction (CDO) and a subsequent counterclaim brought by BVG.
Jonathon is recognised by Best Lawyers in Australia as one of Australia's leading restructuring lawyers, recognition he has received since 2020.