Kathy works in our general liability team and specialises in defending public and product liability claims, property damage and subrogated recoveries. With a particular focus on public sector litigation, Kathy has assisted many government entities in both NSW and Victoria, as well as private insurers. She has wide-ranging experience before courts and tribunals in both jurisdictions.
Kathy's relevant experience includes:
- acting for electricity network owners/distributors in respect of claims arising from slips and trips on assets, gas explosions and bushfires
- defending cleaning companies, hotels and security providers against personal injury and property damage claims
- acting for schools in personal injury claims by students for injuries sustained while using playground and sports equipment, as well as bullying and harassment claims by school students
- defending claims in respect of workplace injuries including common law damages claims and recovery actions brought by the Victorian WorkCover Authority
- acting for underwriters in subrogated recovery actions for damage to residential properties
- defending owners corporations in management liability disputes and breach of contract claims
- acting for sporting and religious organisations as well as public health care providers.
Kathy's experience includes:
- providing advice in relation to the Victorian Black Saturday bushfires class actions
- acting in the landmark lacrosse litigation case involving combustible ACP cladding
- acting in a claim against an owners corporation and its committee members by service contractors arising from breach of contract
- defending a trespass claim against NSW Police which was successful on appeal and had significant operational implications for police exercising powers of entry in emergencies
- representing NSW Justice Health and Forensic Mental Health Network at a coronial inquest into the death of a mentally ill person in custody.